Friday, July 8, 2016

and now we come to the printing press









While most children went to sleep with bedtime stories, my siblings and I drifted off into slumber with the sound of printing presses. My father owned a printing company and our printing company was attached right to our home. From my earliest memories I can remember the smell of ink, and "blanket wash". My Dad was also a engineer but with 7 children and his love for the gospel Daddy would work a full-time job and at night he would run the presses well into 3 am etc.. and then go to work the next day. Momma would help and they would split shifts sleeping. Mom also would bring home a newborn baby (LIKE ME!) and swaddle us up and still work on the presses. Daddy also had commercial customers and we would have people in our home from around the world. We also were the "models" for some of the jobs. I remember when I was in high school a modeling agency wanted me to go to school with them,  and when Mom asked me I said no.. looking back.. that was smart after all, all 7 of us children had been modeling since we were babies! Yes, our pictures have gone around the world. When high school came along while other girls went for more feminine careers. I decided to go to offset-lithography ( a fancy name for printing) I figured I would join the family biz. I really didn't need the school and spent most of my time there doing computer work - it was the state of the art computer and no one could run it except me and one other guy. That machine cost around 25,000 and compared to today's laptops, etc.. it is really funny to think of all that code!!! Momma and Daddy had state of the art machinery - cameras, (HUGE for the printing business) offices, typesetters, etc.. Daddy had about 25 people outside our family working for him at one point plus his kids. I suppose it was only natural for me to love business and advertising - by the time I was out the door to be on my own.. It was only natural for me to love it. But let's get back to my childhood. Daddy was also an inventor and created a unique photography that only he and one other guy knew about. I remember piling people into our home for a photo shoot once... and I mean a lot of people. We played with children from around the world and I remember loving hearing the stories from various people and their adventures. Eventually Daddy decided it was time to retire get out of full time engineering, gave his printing business to Weight Watchers and just slow down his pace until he left the working world for good approx 10 years later. - During that time - that franchise ended up hiring a bunch of my siblings.. I worked in the financial office until I decided to work for my church full time which I did for about 4 years until I had a baby and then went on to work on my own career.  My sister became the purchasing agent, another did personal maintenance for the owners and Mom and Dad worked the printing, packing room (this was their retirement step to kind of unwind) . I remember the press days, moving the business at one point 200 miles away, and the most unusual childhood I had. If you think it's bad to run a business in your home.. think again.. These are some of the best memories and I think it has helped me throughout my life making contacts and knowing how to work with people. Financially it has been rewarding but the friendships that were made at young ages are still there. I could write more.. but this is a book.. and yes, already in a book, written magazine article. Hope you enjoyed this! 


Win a beach pack click here

Win click here


Enter to win toys ! click here

Win girl stuff click here


Win a bracelet click here

Enter the outdoor give a way click here

Win a shower click here










     If you would like us to do a product review for you it's FREE and a easy way to get your brand name out there.

     Please help us by being  a sweetheart and sharing this post with your friends on facebook, instragram and twitter. Hugs to you! 

If you have a sweepstake or freebie you would like us to share on our blog please email us at PopleBackyardfarm@gmail.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment